03 October 2010

I finished the 2006 US National Criterium Championship

Of course, I did it on my trainer. And had I really been racing, would probably have been lapped and DQ'd at some point ... but, I did manage to actually blast the whole race this time, though I did not do exactly the intervals listed (nor did I match Robbie Ventura pedal stroke for pedal stroke). I did what I was capable of doing, and finished, and I'm happy. And exhausted.

For a refresher, this is the RealRides Race Day Indoor Training Cycling DVD.

Warmup: 10' easy spin with occasional RPE 6-7 intervals to open the capillaries
Workout: 38' 15" simulated race (AVG HR 159 [98% of LT], Max HR 185 [102% of calculated MHR])
Warmdown: 8' easy spin

Man, I can dig the criterium races. They're way faster than the regular road races (because they're much shorter) and are a freaking awesome workout. The thing that would probably suck about them would be keeping track of where you are in the pack, and where you are in the race.

As a short primer, a criterium race is a relatively short distance race, sometimes only a few miles long, but the course is a loop. You start at the Start/Finish line and ride the entire distance of the course as a single lap. The race itself consists of several laps of the course, and usually lasts between 30 and 60 minutes total. First person to complete the prescribed number of laps wins. If you are on the course and the lead rider "laps" you, then you are disqualified (DQ'd) and pulled off the race (this keeps the race moving).

So, anyway, I finished the race. I think I am off to pass out until the end of time, or my next shift, whichever comes first.

Sleep: 9/10 (excellent sleep)
Fatigue: 0/10 (not fatigued)
Stress: 0/10 (no stress)
Soreness: 0/10 (not sore)

No comments:

Post a Comment